Monday, February 18, 2008

spellman23 scores a headshot

So, I said I'd explain a bit about the title, and here it is.

spellman23 is my gaming alias.

zomg, lolz @ gamerz poluting my interwebs!

Seriously though, I'm a gamer. Granted, I'm not a pro gamer as much as sometimes I'd like to be. And it's not like I'm sucked into the vortex of one game. I play all games. Card, board, PC, sometimes a bit of console (don't own one, so I have to use the ones in the dorm gaming cabinet). I also enjoy multiple genres from First-Person Shooter to Role-Playing and God Games like Civ4.

How does this all fit? Well, it's a great stress reliever. One of the awesome things is we get 24Hr access to computer labs, which of course we've figured out how to load games onto (of course we cleared it with the admins of the college first) and thus have cool LAN parties over the weekend. It started out with only Natural Selection, a Half-Life mod, and a bit of WarCraft3 custom maps my freshman year, but we've had some other die hards re-introduce things like StarCraft and Quake into the mix.

Oh, and did I mention I have setup a session for a 24Hr gaming marathon? Yup. 8 players last Spring Break gamed from noon to noon. Crazy, I know.

But, as with all things, I've made sure to take it in moderation. I selectively play games during the weekend when the workload is less intense. Well, correction, I can put off work for a few hours and still feel good about myself. But anyways, being able to mess around and frag friends is awesome. If you've ever had a LAN Party, you know how great it is to hear people random cheer as other groan by a wild play you just pulled off, or the electricity as you all work together by yelling across the room. It's pure awesome.

The problem of games comes up when you let it take control. There are people where things like World of Warcraft (WoW) have essentially sucked them dry. Now all they play is WoW and whenever they have conversations inevitably it steers into talking about WoW, or homework. Not my particular brand of fun, but apparently they seem to be enjoying it. So, just don't let games dictate your life. Heck, in general, don't let one thing dictate your entire life unless it's really worth it, like say your religion, but that's another topic for another post.

Anyways, if you see me on the webs pwning the noobs, feel free to drop a line and say hi.


And for your viewing pleasure, some cool game trailers of my favorite free mods:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yJbR7wUoNBg
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2039778892352057276
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLcHtKcB0nI&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-fTCO7ZE-uE (has some gory scenes, designed as a realistic game)

No comments: