Saturday, February 21, 2009

Transfer of Power

Call me slightly romantic, but I feel that leaving a mark tends to be a good thing. Assuming it's the good kind of mark and not the emotionally scarring mark.

Back in High School, I did quite a bit. I was active in band, did well in academics, and messed around in very very fun circles. I of course am barely a memory now, mostly in the teachers' minds. I don't expect people to remember the kid who did stuff in band four years ago. When I joined, I didn't know any stories about some long graduated person.

Oddly, in college, there seem to be more insane people, or just better story telling. So, I heard stories about Cal and how he managed to break one of the walls in the basement. I tell people about the crazy antics of Camilo. People still talk about the epic pranks that happened on HMC such as making a piece of public art rust.

It's not surprising then that we try to be remembered somehow, or at least hope that our accomplishments can continue to help others. For example, if you founded this awesome club, you'd hope it continued to thrive and let others experience its awesome. I recently gave over control of Crack in the AC to a sophomore Ben. Not only did I give him a crash course on how to do things, but I'm also making sure he doesn't do anything crazy. I'm also setting up the GameSHMC to get passed on if David ever gets around to calling the elections.

As for what's next, today was the Spring Career Fair. It was actually very disappointing. Not only did it start at 12 noon and I have a 1:15pm class but there were so few people attending. The economic decline is hitting everyone pretty hard and so there's still quite a few internships floating around but not that many entry-level jobs. I guess it's my turn to be much more proactive.

In case you didn't know, I'm focusing on digital engineering. Think of it as a subset of Electrical Engineering that deals with the digital components. This usually translates in the real world to programming FPGA chips to do data processing from communications. Communication is a big industry, and everyone want to be wireless. However, there's a few people who would use my extra training in actual chip design, but Intel and the likes are mostly interested in Masters level or higher for full-time jobs.

So, I'm still waiting on the graduate schools. It's weird, most of the other people I know in the other majors have been accepted into at least one school already. The physicists are extra thrilled because they all want to get PhDs and do the awesome crazy physics work that won't be commercially feasible or useful for several decades. You know, like quantum computing. They've got these really cool algorithms that speed things up a lot, but the problem is they don't have any hardware that can actually do the computation. Ah how that real world clashes with the theory.

BTW, there's some interesting plans in the works. I won't spoil it, but it should be sufficiently awesome.

No comments: